Playlist for Wednesday August 13, 2008
Ukuleles and Hillbilly Hulas
Hosted by Greg Denton with guest Ian Reid
This show was planned around the fact that guest musician, Ian Reid, performs sometimes with a ukulele. He will be performing this Sunday evening, August 17th, at the Cornerstone Cafe in downtown Guelph.
The Ukulele is a 19th Century Hawaiin variation of a small Portuguese guitar called a cavaquinho. It should also be noted that Hawaii officially entered the union of The United States of America on August 21, 1959, so this is an anniversary of sorts too.
1. Sugar In The Gourd - The Holy Modal Rounders
2. Aloha Means I Love You - The Tau Moe Family
3. Hawaii - Jim Kweskin Jug Band
4. Coldest Woman - The Holy Modal Rounders
5. Hula Boogie - Tommy Durden & The Westernaires
6. Her Name Was Hula Lou - Carolina Tar Heels
7. Hillbilly Hula Gal - Junior Brown
8. Boogie Woogie Gal - Jack Padgett The Texas Wrangler
Boogie Woogie Gal has nothing to do with ukuleles or hulas. It was a case of the wrong CD in the wrong case. ARGH, programmer's hell. We played the tune out and then played what we intended:
9. Hillbilly Hula - Jenks "Tex" Carman
The following three songs were recorded live in Scott Merritt's living room on a hand held digital recorder in late February 2006. While waiting for Evan Gordon to show up for a Dry Tickle mixing session, Scott delivered a very casual and impromtu concert of John Lennon songs on the ukulele. I had a terrible cold at the time and coughed during the recording. Just part of the "field recording" ethos.
10. Nothing's Gonna Change My World - Scott Merritt & His Ukulele
11. Gimme Some Truth - Scott Merritt & His Ukulele
12. Working Class Hero - Scott Merritt & His Ukulele
13. Ukulele Lady - Jim Kweskin Jug Band
14. No Wonder She's A Blushing Bride - Art Fowler & His Ukulele
15. Little Wing - James Hill
A gorgeous little bit of Jimmy Hendrix on two Ukuleles!